Monday, February 1, 2010

Chanel discovers LARPers












I'm not sure how I feel about Pre-Fall fashion shows. I am of the belief that until Imbolc has passed you have no business thinking about for next fall in such a direct sense. However something about this one begging me to take notice.

Somewhere inside me is a part that adores long haired boys in trench coats.

Perhaps the rest of the world does too.

Perhaps this means that the long haired misanthrope with the trench coat is no longer a cliche. Maybe next year he will listen to Lady Gaga (they call her music "dark pop") and never worry about offending the normals at the next larp. Maybe geek will take another step into the mainstream. . .

What I do know is that Chanel has presented an aesthetic that we have admired for years and taken it to the next level, adding samurai pants and mail inspired shirts in with the classic leather, lace, and gauze.

This made me smile.

4 comments:

  1. It was the fashion industry that created the goth look to begin with! They took the victorian look and made it popular, starting I believe, in the 70s.

    And that red cloak is FIERCE!

    I am pretty certain that if Lady Gaga started playing at geekCon's the universe would implode. *grin* Could be fun to watch the two worlds merge back together as Lady Gaga is returning to her darker roots. (so to speak!)

    Oh! I have a blog too! ilertribe.blogspot.com if you want to come over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the red coat. The collar is superhot is a creepy power hungry sorta way. I must admit that the gauzy dress with the turquoise accents is my favorite. It seems so timeless. I can picture it in anything from Star Wars to D & D to now.

    I hadn't realized that the goth look dated back to the 70s. I thought it was an 80s invention. Someday I'm going to have to look that up and see the old roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goth does date back to the 70s, but it wasn't a fashion industry thing - it started off as a place where glam and punk sort of merged and mixed, inspired by the bands Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy and Siouxie and the Banshees.

    The Victorian look didn't find its way into goth until the early 80s, where goth began to pull away from its punk roots. Then, it's been all downhill from there. :D

    ReplyDelete